Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Girl's Got To Know Her Limitations

When someone asks me do I like to cook, I usually have to stop and think.  You see, I used to enjoy cooking before I had kids.  I used to like baking different slices & biscuits and trying new recipes.  But now that cooking has become part of the daily routine, it feels more like a chore than something enjoyable to do.  So once I've had a chance to ponder the question, I generally answer that I'm more a meat & 3 veg kinda cook.  Well not just meat & 3 veg ... I do mix it up a bit with some lasagne, butter chicken and tacos, but it's usually simple, filling and hopefully liked by all the kids.  When I now cook, I feel like I'm more boss of an engine room that keeps the family going from week to week rather than Nigella.  There is no time for fancy recipes, lots of ingredients & turned up noses to what's served up in front of the hungry hordes.


Image from www.thisislondon.co.uk

Nigella Lawson I'm not ... in so many ways ;-)

So keeping this all in mind, I have no idea what came over me when I thought I'd join in the spirit of all things Christmassy & try my hand at some festive baking.  Did I need to have some extra gifts on hand to give to friends who dropped by?  No.  Were the kids pressuring me to use the Xmas biscuit cutters we've never used?  No.  Did I succumb to Christmas blogging fabulousness?  Yes!  The bloggy peer pressure was just too much and I had a momentary lapse of reason and decided to make Rocky Road (something I've never made before).  This is what it was meant to look like.

Retromummy's white chocolate Rocky Road

I, on the other hand, ended up with this embarrassing choc congealed mess.  Mmmm ... appealing isn't it?


First Lesson Learnt:  Not all chocolate melts.
Second Lesson Learnt:  Choc Bits definitely don't melt.  They hold their shape when baked.  It says so clearly on the packet.
Third Lesson Learnt:  Have several packets of chocolate on hand. You will probably go through the majority of them.
Fourth Lesson Learnt:  Don't try new recipes when also cooking dinner.
Fifth Lesson Learnt:  In the words of Dirty Harry, a man (or woman) has got to know their limitations.

Mine is clearly White Chocolate Rocky Road!

  


8 comments:

  1. Very funny, Little Miss.

    I hate fooking cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no. I was expecting something gorgeous...!! That looks terrible. But I totally get what you mean by cooking post-children. I don't enjoy it as much as I used to.

    Anyway, this gave me a great laugh! Better luck next time.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girlfriend... we need to talk.

    I can help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely think so, Digella ...

    Fooking cooking ... I like that phrase MMMC ... I'll incorporate into my cursing next time I try cooking some xmas cheer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. I can relate to all of this. I used to love cooking, right up until I had to do it day in, day out. Most of my attempts work out okay, but my Christmas Rocky Road experience was also a little messy. Note to self: compound cooking chocolate Simply Won't Do. Thanks for Rewinding at the Fibro!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so with you on the not feeling like it because you have to thing. After 33 years, my son and husband are doing the dinner cooking at the moment and I am LOVING it!! I think your rocky road looks delicious...I have been off sweet things for a week now and that pile looks amazing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It may look terrible, but my inner-chocoholic would still give it a go! Melted, non-melted or half-melted.. it's still chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzie G ... the chocoholics in this house sure gave it a nudge. Hubby & the kids have polished it all off. It seems that I'm not alone in the "not enjoying cooking anymore" club.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog. Stop by again soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...